About the job
CAMRA is a not-for-profit consumer group with over 150,000 members that has been operating since 1971. Our vision is to have quality real ale and thriving pubs in every community. We are a volunteer-led organisation, with a small, enthusiastic and committed staff team of almost 50 people working at our head office in St. Albans where this role will be based.
We are independent and our policies and campaigning objectives are set by our membership.
CAMRA’s decision-making process is wholly independent of any commercial companies or other organisations.
We are not-for-profit and all proceeds are put back into achieving our campaigning objectives.
We are consumers. We have no commercial interests in pub or brewery ownership or management.
We are non-party political.
This is an exciting and challenging role at the heart of a high-profile, national, not-for-profit organisation. As a developer at CAMRA you will work within our IT team to support and deliver exciting projects for the Campaign.
Reporting to the Senior IT Manager this role will have the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects from consumer facing mobile and web to more bespoke in-house systems.
This role would suit an experienced PHP developer with a good Laravel foundation, as well as someone who enjoys working together as a part of a small but dynamic team. You will work directly with the senior developer and other team members and have the opportunity to develop ideas and input to system design
We operate a blind shortlisting process, so please submit your application via this online form https://forms.office.com/e/7Gs1zgerFh to prevent identifying information being included with your application.
Please also send your CV and any other supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org – please note CVs and any supporting documents should be in editable format only (Word, Open Office etc) and we will not accept PDFs.
Closing date for applications is 1st March 2023 and successful candidates will be invited for interview at a date to be confirmed in March.
Maintain existing PHP applications and develop new applications in line with the project brief. Work to design briefs working with the lead developer. Liaise with other developers and members of staff to share knowledge and best practices.
- Interpret and evaluate business requirements and contribute to the design of applications
- Write and review technical and non-technical specifications. Report on project progress to project stakeholders
- Design, develop and maintain the company’s software applications
- Maintain and develop CAMRA’s bespoke membership system ensuring it’s efficient operation, security and payment processing.
- Debug both internally and externally-reported issues, and endeavour to maintain optimal performance of applications at all times
- Work on multiple projects of varying sizes and supporting other teams members on project delivery and training
- Write clean, reusable, fully documented code
- Write new and update existing unit tests. Report issues, bugs or any “blockers”
- Effectively manage your time to deliver results. Convey progress whilst working on multiple tasks and report on overall development team progress
- Assist in improving the company’s deployment processes making use of continuous integration
- Help maintain and manage documentation keeping it clear, concise and understandable to all key stakeholders and direct team
- Collaborate with other developers and key stakeholders to:
- Identify new and emerging technologies or tools. Share knowledge within the team and the wider department
- Gather and confirm project requirements and ensure deliverables are on time
- A minimum of 2 years commercial experience as a PHP developer or equivalent
- Object-orientated PHP programming skills and proven track record in developing PHP applications
- Understanding of different design patterns
- Bonus – Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its products and apis
- Strong understanding of PHP Laravel MVC framework
- Strong understanding of RESTful APIs
- Proven experience with integrating 3rd party libraries and API’s
- Experience in Mobile App Development (Android and IOS, Ionic and React Native)
- Strong understanding of MYSQL database and database structures
- Strong Command line use of version control (GIT)
- Experience with using Linux, Nginx/Apache
- Experience working in a collaborative Agile (Scrum / Kanban) environment.
- Good communication skills – able to understand and explain complex concepts in non-technical language; able to contribute effectively to team meetings
- Team player, analytical, self-motivated, proactive, independent thinker, with a “can-do” mentality.
- Problem solver – able to apply knowledge, logic, and imagination to make sense of complex problems and develop solutions to solve them.
This role may require occasional attendance at meetings and out of hours’ events in the evenings and occasionally at weekends for which time off in lieu will be given.