An excellent traditional village inn with a warm welcome for all. The pub is both at the centre of Churt village and the centre of village life having been under the same ownership since 1994. Dating from the 1870’s the interior retains a “proper” quarry tiled public bar, with a serving hatch and dartboard while the main bar serves the comfortable saloon with tables and bar seating. Children under ten are not allowed in the bars but there is a large garden which is ideal for families in the summer months. An annual beer festival is held in July, but apart from then, food is not available, however customers are then welcome to bring in their own sustenance and a well-stocked convenience store and Post Office is close by. Perfect!
One regular ale and three changing guest beers, always local ales, often include a stout or porter. If a beer is not up to standard it will be changed without question. Four traditional ciders are usually available and may be from any independent cider-maker.
The Crossways is within the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and close to the South Downs National Park amidst good walking country, including Frensham Ponds and Common, the Devil’s Punchbowl, Gibbet Hill, Waggoners’ Wells and Alice Holt Forest. Other attractions nearby include Thursley National Nature Reserve, The Rural Life Centre, The Sculpture Park and several attractive villages such as Tilford, on the River Wey.
Historic Interest
In 1871 Arthur Chuter was at the Crossways Public House and was described as “bricklayer and public house keeper”. The 1881 census return indicates that he was still the publican at the Crossways Inn when it was called “The Shant”. The 1891 census return indicates that John Nicholas Baker “publican and carpenter” was living at the Crossways Inn, though the premises was called “The Cross Roads Inn” in some trade directories. A photograph from the 1890’s shows it as a simple cottage-style building with a central porch and bay windows either side. The front of the pub proclaimed “Trimmer’s Fine Ales and London Stout”; George Trimmer had an interest in many premises in Farnham and Aldershot along with hop growing and brewing. In 1889 Trimmer’s became part of the Farnham United Breweries who, in 1895 purchased the Crossways Inn. It was rebuilt and improved and resulted in the pub looking much as it does today. The 1901 census return indicates that the publican was Silas Mullard, although the pub has reverted to its original name. The lane now known as Hale House Lane was called Shant Lane and the pub was still known as “The Shant” by many locals well into the 20th century. Silas’ son Montague Mullard later advertised carriage (Victoria and Brougham) hire and coal and coke sales from the premises. He also offered Luncheons and Teas. Current landlady Teresa Ewens and her late husband Paul took over in 1994.
N.B. Thanks are due to Churt Heritage for much of the above information: (https://churtheritage.co.uk/crossways-public-house)
One star - A pub interior of special national historic interest
Listed status: Not listed
A partly tile-hung pub with an interwar, flat-roofed addition on the left. The small public bar on the right has a red and black quarry-tiled floor, old half-height panelled walls and old fireplace (but new brick infill): sadly the bench seating has been removed. The counter is perhaps a 1960s replacement for a hatch. The larger L-shaped left-hand saloon includes the interwar extension and consisted of two rooms until 1966 when the present counter was installed. Look for the oval mirror in the public bar advertising ‘Mann Crossman Beers – its the malt that matters’.
Small 19th century pub of brick, stone and part tile hung. The left hand section was rebuilt in the 1930s (or just post-war) when a toilet block was added on the right. Originally three small rooms it retains a separate small public bar on the right and a L-shaped saloon bar on the left, which was two rooms until 1966.
On the right the small public bar is little altered with its black and red quarry tiled floor laid diagonally, old half-height panelled walls, old fireplace (with new brick infill), but old bench seating has been removed and the counter may have replaced a hatch possibly c1960. Look for the oval mirror in the public advertising 'Mann Crossman Beers - its the malt that matters'.
The left hand inner door has a very 1930s 'Saloon' on it and leads to a bar with a dado of a distinct 1950s style which incorporates bench seating down the far left side. The bar counter only dates from 1966 but the style carefully matches the wall panelling. The 1930s urinals in the gents remain.
You must be a Digital Subscriber or CAMRA Member to be able to view specially curated GBG descriptions
This Pub serves 3 changing beers and 1 regular beer.
Crossways Inn, Churt
Usually a mixture of locally sourced ales including a dark beer
Changing beers typically include: Bowman (varies) , Langham (varies) , Triple fff (varies)
Source: Local
Notice an error or missing details? Help us keep our pub & club information accurate by sharing any corrections or updates you spot.